There’s probably not a single person on our planet who haven’t heard about Viagra. It is the first and the most popular tablet for the treatment of erection problems in men. However, only some people know that the main component of Viagra is called Sildenafil Citrate. It is due to this ingredient Viagra tablets do their job perfectly well.
When a patent for Viagra production has expired, the companies around the world got the right to produce their own versions of the famous ED remedy. Such products got the name generics. They are significantly cheaper if compared to the brand medicine and may differ in the package design and the shape of the pill. Nevertheless, the effectiveness, mechanism of action, and of course the safety of these preparations is a 100% match to the brand Viagra.
Trying to make the production of generic Sildenafil less expensive, some companies started its production in India. Such a step has made generic Sildenafil affordable and helped to preserve a top quality of the medication.
What about the safety of the drug?
Keeping in mind that the active ingredient and its amount in the brand and generic drugs are exactly the same, one may come to the conclusion that the probability and the severity of probable side effects are also identical.
To the most often experienced negative reactions to the drug belong:
- Nasal stuffiness;
- Stomach upset;
- Difficulties with falling asleep;
- Hot flushes and redness of the face, neck, and chest;
Such reactions are temporary and withdraw as soon as the effect of the drug has finished. There’s no need to turn to the doctors in case you have any of these reactions. Yet if they persist or get worse, you may call your doctor for a consultation.
Some men may also face more serious side effects like:
- Vision changes (color blindness, blurred vision);
- Hearing issues (lowered hearing or temporary loss of hearing in one or both ears);
- Dizziness, nausea;
- Muscle pain or back pain.
Having noticed any of the enumerated symptoms, you’d better go and see your healthcare provider. In case of severe negative reactions to the drug, call an emergency room right away. To such reactions belong:
- Symptoms of heart attack (pain in chest spreading to the left arm, shoulders, and back, arrhythmia, breathlessness).
- Severe allergic reactions accompanied by rash, swelling of the face, tongue, and throat that don’t give you a possibility to breathe.
- A painful erection lasting for more than 4 hours.
- Severe drop in the blood pressure, which may show through extreme tiredness, faintness or even loss of consciousness.
All these situations may be dangerous to your life and health so don’t postpone turning for medical help.
Precautions to generic Sildenafil intake
Some categories of patients should stay away from generic Sildenafil. These are men with:
- A history of heart attack, heart surgery or stroke in recent medical history;
- Uncontrolled blood pressure, especially hypotension;
- Severe liver and kidney dysfunction;
- Inclination to priapism;
- Hypersensitivity to Sildenafil Citrate.
Intake of some medications may be dangerous together with generic Sildenafil. Hence, you should inform your medical specialist about all the drugs and herbal products you currently use. For example, nitrate preparations for the blood pressure control taken together with Sildenafil may lead to a severe drop in the blood pressure, which is difficult to stabilize.
Drinking alcohol when on Sildenafil is also a bad idea because the first acts as a nervous system depressant and may nullify the effect induced by Sildenafil. Furthermore, such a combination may elevate the risks for side effects.